The organ at Church of the Nativity is the Opus 115 of the Andover Organ Company, Methuen, Massachusetts. The organ was designed with characteristics of instruments typical of small New England parishes of the 19th century. It is delightfully voiced for the acoustic intimacy of our modest-sized nave. Since its installation in 2007, the organ’s liturgical sounds have led the singing at Church of the Nativity as we worship the glory of God.
The organ has 1062 pipes played by two manuals and pedal-board with the swell division enclosed in a mechanically operated swell box to affect the sound level. The key and stop action are mechanical, which give the organist full control and expression of the pipe speech and musical articulation.
The design of the instrument provides for 20 stops. The initial installation in 2007 included delivery of 12 stops with the chests prepared for 8 additional ranks of pipes to be completed in the future. Ten years later in 2017 the prepared stops were installed and the organ was completed.
The facade pipes are made of 70% polished tin. The keyboards are covered with cow bone naturals and ebony sharps and the draw knobs are made of Pau Ferro with faux ivory labels. The solid walnut pipe shades contrast with the solid red oak case, which matches the wood trim in the church. The organ has a Zimbelstern and a star that turns when the bells ring. It is a fitting addition for Church of the Nativity.
|8’||Open Diapason||58 pipes|
|8’||Chimney Flute||58 pipes|
|8’||Stopped Diapason||58 pipes|
|4’||Silver Flute||58 pipes|
|2 2/3’||Nazard||58 pipes|
|1 3/5’||Tierce||58 pipes|
|8’||Flutebass ext.||12 pipes (extension)|
|4’||Choralbass ext.||12 pipes (extension)|
|8’||Tromba||12 pipes (extension)|
|Zimbelstern (bell star)|
|Swell to Great Coupler|
|Swell to Pedal Coupler|
|Great to Pedal Coupler|